Love a good stew recipe. Especially when it is cold outside and there is snow on the ground. This was a new one for me. It came out fantastic. The kids loved it.
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can of condensed tomato soup. plus one can of water
- 2 cups of cremini mushrooms quartered
- 2 cups small yellow potatoes, halved
- 3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beef; toss well to coat.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and shallots; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato soup and water; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes. Add potatoes and mushrooms; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour. Add squash; cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until squash is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.