Friday, March 2, 2012

Toffee Poke Cake


I seem to be making A  LOT of recipes from Pinterest lately.  I am a little obsessed with that site!!  I saw this Toffee Poke Cake AKA. Better than Sex Cake all over Pinterest boards and done in many different ways.  I thought it would make the perfect birthday cake for my husband.  This cake did not disappoint!  It was really delicious and decadent.......but better than sex?  I'll let you decide that for your self.

Ingredients:

1 box devils food cake
1- 16oz jar caramel ice cream topping
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
1 container of cool whip, thawed
1 bag of Hershey's Heath Bits O'Brickle or 3 heath bars, crushed
 
 
Preparation:
 
Bake the devils food cake according to the package, except the oil. Reduce the amount by half. I baked mine in two round cake pans, but I'm thinking a 9x13 pan would have been less messy.
 
While the cake is still hot, poke holes in it using the back of a wooden spoon. Make sure you don't poke all the way through the cake.  (I used a stainless steel knife sharpener that I don't use to sharpen knives ;)
 
Drizzle caramel over the top of the cake. 


Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the caramel (I used half the can but you can use more if you would like) 


Sprinkle the Bit's O' Brickle or crushed Heath Bars over the top of the sweetened condensded milk. 

 
 
Allow cake to cool completely in the refrigerator.   I used round cake pans when I made the cake because I was going for a nicer presentation but you can use a 9x13 pyrex dish or cake pan which would work fine.  Next time I'm going to make and decorate the cake in a pyrex dish because it would just be much easier and less messy. 
 
However, if you did use round cake pans you will need to carefully remove the cakes from the pans and transfer to a cake platter to decorate.  Using a spatchula carefully lift the cakes from the pans.  It will be mess and gooey but mine came out without a problem.  Now  cover the cake with a thin layer of cool whip, then top with the 2nd cake and cover that cake with cool whip as well.  Sprinkle entire cake with additional Heath bar crumbles.
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyday Sisters LOVES hearing from you, please leave a comment.