Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Spinach

Every once in awhile I go through my freezer and pantry and create a dinner from the ingredients that I find.  So this time I used, pasta shells, chicken sausage, spinach and a can of crushed tomatoes.  Voila Dinner!

Ingredients:

1 lb of pasta shells
8 oz frozen spinach (drained)
1-28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 lb of chicken sausage (casings removed)
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 small onion diced
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste 
2 tablespoons of olive oil

Preparation:

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in large skillet, add sausage and cook through.  Remove sausage, set aside.  Heat additional tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet, add onions and cook until starting to brown.  Add 1/4 cup of white wine and deglaze pan but scraping up brown bits on the bottom of the pan.  Cook for 2 minutes and then add spinach and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add crushed tomatoes, parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.  Add sausage back to tomato mixture and cook over med heat for 15 minutes.  Cook pasta, drain and add to sauce.  Add additional parmesean cheese if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Ellen!!!! I had no idea you had a cooking blog...I love it!! I just happened to see your update on Facebook as I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner! I would imagine I can use ground turkey in place of the chicken sausage, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helene! Yes, I started this blog with my sisters at the beginning of January. Glad you found it. I need to get over and follow your blog so I can get daily updates on what's happening with you and the kids.

    You can definitely substitute ground turkey for the sausage but you may need to adjust the seasoning since the chicken sausage adds a lot of salt and spice to the overall taste of the dish. I would sauté the ground turkey with garlic and Italian seasoning and then follow the rest of the recipe. Just taste along the way to make sure it's seasoned enough. We had this last night for dinner and it was really delicious

    ReplyDelete

Everyday Sisters LOVES hearing from you, please leave a comment.