Saturday, July 14, 2012

Broccoli Salad

\
This is an all time favorite salad for summer time.  My family has been making this for BBQ's for years and we give out the recipe constantly because it's always a big hit.  Because you use raw broccoli this salad really lasts a long time without getting soggy which makes it a great salad to bring to a friend's house, block party or anywhere that it might have to sit out for an extended period of time.   

Ingredients:

1 head broccoli, stems discarded, florets cut small
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sugar
3 T red wine vinegar
1/2 small red onion, finely minced
1/2 cup raisins
1 package ramen noodles, broken into small pieces,uncooked, discard the seasoning packet
1 cup raw sunflower seeds, not salted or roasted
1 cup raw cashews, not salted or roasted

Preparation:

Place broccoli in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, whisk mayo, sugar, vinegar, and onion
Pour dressing over broccoli.
Add raisins, crumbled ramen noddles, sunflower seeds, and cashews.
Toss to combine

Tips
*There is enough dressing to double the amount of broccoli  but keep the rest of ingredient amounts the same
* Toast the ramen noodles in a dry hot pan on the stove top
* If not serving immediately, add the cashews and ramen noodles right before serving but you can dress the broccoli with the raisins and sunflower seeds a few hours in advance.  

4 comments:

  1. I really love broccoli salad....I'll def have to put this on my "to cook" list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...I love this salad, but have never had it with the ramen noodles! I love to make up a batch of a salad like this to snack on or pack for light lunches during the week. Pinning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I look at salads, I want pretty and this is pretty. There is something about salad with the contrast in colors that brightens a table. I also like eating them and I am big fan of broccoli. I can see us eating this, in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this sounds like it has a nice crunch to it! Looks good for a nice summer salad, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Everyday Sisters LOVES hearing from you, please leave a comment.