Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gefilte Fish Cakes


This year for the jewish holidays I wanted to come up with a new starter instead of the traditional gefilte fish which not everyone in our family likes. One of my favorite new kosher cooking websites is joyofkoshercooking.com. I found this really creative twist on gefilte fish that is sort of like a crab cake and it was a huge hit. It was very easy and I will be adding it to my holiday menus in the future!

Ingredients:

1 loaf frozen gefilte fish defrosted (22 0z)
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1 small red onion diced
2 celery stalks diced
1 1/2 C mayo divided
4 T chopped dill
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 egg
1 C coarsely crushed matzo (I used matzo farfel)
1 C canola oil
1 lemon juiced
4 T prepared horseradish

Preparation:

In large bol combine fish, peppers,onion, celery, dill, 1/2 C mayo, salt, pepper, egg, and matzo, and stir well to combine. With wet hands scoop 1/4 C and form into patties. Place on sheet pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes before frying.  Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Fry patties in batches 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown.  In small bowl combine remaining 1 C mayo, lemon juice, and horseradish and stir.

To serve, plate 2 cakes on a small plate and garnish with 1 T sauce.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great!

    Almost no one in my family likes gefilte fish (but I do!) I wonder if they'd like these...I'm definitely intrigued

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are delcious but then again I LOVE gefilte fish! :)

    ReplyDelete

Everyday Sisters LOVES hearing from you, please leave a comment.